Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sharing my Internship Interview Experience

So I tried to keep this under wraps originally, as I am (unfortunately) superstitious. But, I had an interview on Friday in downtown Atlanta!

Here's the short version of my day Friday:
*I came home Thursday night to ensure a full night's rest. No crankiness allowed!

*I woke up nice and slow, but I forgot to eat before I left, which was not a good idea because then I did get cranky. Fail! Later, however, I discovered it was a great idea, because my stomach didn't start knotting while I was waiting.

*I wore a classic grey pinstripe skirt suit with a bright blouse, comfortable shoes and hose. I did not bring a coat and I definitely should have! I also brought a designer bag that matched my suit and my father lent me his fancy leather portfolio to match.

*I took the MARTA - a public transit subway. It gave me a lot of time to think, relax and prepare, as well as keeping me from stressing out about where I was going!

*I arrived at the interview a few minutes early - always a good plan! But I didn't actually get to interview until about 30 minutes after my time! Luckily, the company had a TV in the lobby, so I got to watch sitcoms while I waited!

*I got called in to interview. I tried my hardest to be polite and normal, but later admitted to the interviewer that I was trying really hard. I was so nervous about making a better impression that I sort of lost myself. I was lucky to open up as the interview continued.

*I brought extra resumes and an air check, which my interviewer was happy to have.

*As I left, my interviewer said, "Great interview" and shook my hand. Even if I didn't get the internship, I felt accomplished. How often does one get complimented when they are one in hundreds!?

*I finally had a bite to eat. I had some delicious spaghetti, prepared by a Italian man with a thick accent. He was very nice and made me smile! It tasted better afterwards anyway.

*Hopped back on the MARTA and headed home. What a day! By the time I was off the track and in the car, four hours of my day were spent downtown.



What can you take from this? 
*Dress comfortably. But don't get too crazy - even though I wished I had been in brighter colors, I think I made a better impression in my classic suit.

*Bring everything you can with you. An aircheck, resume, writing sample, anything - just in case. They may not ask for it, but wouldn't you rather be prepared!? (I have to thank my dad for that one- he made sure I had everything before I left!)

*Be yourself. Yes, impressions are good. But don't overdo it - I accidentally convinced my interviewer that I preferred one radio station over the other, when it was actually the opposite! It took me so off-guard that it threw my whole train of thought off.

*Be careful not to over-focus. I totally forgot my favorite artist(s), all because I was trying to prepare myself for harder questions!

*Speaking of.... I was not expecting to be asked conversational questions! Don't forget, you're a person.

Have you ever interviewed for something? Have any more tips? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment