Monday, January 21, 2013

From fluff to full: a how to guide for curls

I've recently re-embraced my curly hair.

It took some time. First, I had to stop flat ironing my hair every day. The heat was destroying any and all curl pattern. Later, I had to ditch the blow dryer and just let it dry naturally.

Letting my hair do its own thing was tough. It was cute, but it was a bit of a fuzzball.

I decided no styling for one day... it was a bit of a mess.

So when I went to my hair dresser recently, I asked her to cut my hair and diffuse it so the curls would look, well, good.

I ended up with a gorgeous, fluffy, full set of bouncy curls. How did my thin, fuzzy turn into this!?

I was so excited I took a picture the second I got in the car!

Needless to say, I loved it. So I went out and bought a new dryer with a diffuser to get my salon bouncy curls at home!

How To: Diffused Curls

Step 1: Wash or wet your hair
I prefer to wash everyday, but curls are prone to dryness, so consider co-washing or just rinsing your hair.

Step 2: Throw in the towel 
To cut down on frizz, I've started using an old white tee shirt to remove drippiness but cut down on frizz.

Step 3: Get dressed
At least put your shirt on. Trust me on this one- you won't want to have to re-fluff after pulling your favorite tee over your head!

Step 4: Style prep
Apply whatever products you typically use. I use a leave-in conditioner, a frizz fighter, a curl mousse and a little bit of heat protector.

Wheee! Wet Hair!


Step 5: Diffuse
Step your blowdryer to medium or low heat and low pressure. Swing your head to the side and gently "scrunch" your hair into the diffuser. Repeat until dry on both sides. Blow dry your hair until it is mostly dry, then let the last of the moisture dissipate on its own.

I tried drying in sections, but I found that it did work as well as I'd hoped! Still looked good though!

A slightly weird picture of the bangs and back of my hair!

It's gotten a lot bigger, which makes it feel out-of-control sometimes, but I like being able to leave the house without damp or wet hair. I also like that I'm able to control the curl in my bangs, which are in the process of growing out.

Do you embrace your natural texture? Enhance it, like I do? Or do you do something totally different? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment