Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Desk for Success

I have a thing with desks. I love them, but my desks always look totally crazy.

I like having a specific workspace, but no matter how hard I try it always turns into a crazy mess! I have a love/hate relationship with desk drawers: I love shoving random stuff in them, but I hate not being able to find anything!

I had to come up with a solution... but so far, the only one that works is not using my desk drawers.

And with all of my papers slowly stacking up on the corner of my desk, underneath textbooks and clipboards, I realized it was time for a change.

The 'Desk for Success' Scavenger Hunt

Before... not so bad, but needs improvement!

Find: Things of Sentiment
Yes, I know the little notes your sorority sisters slipped under your door are sweet, but if it just says "Love, Jane" reconsider keeping it. Does it bring you lots of smiles? Consider taping it to the wall or put it on your memory board. Is it a gift tag and you use the gift every day? Toss the tag.

Secondly, is it on your desk because you were sitting there last when you looked it? Probably. Find a new home for your sentimental notes!

Find: Receipts
Remember why you kept your receipt. For online shopping slips, I keep them in case I need to make a return and because I paid with my card. For regular receipts, I keep everything except cash receipts.

I started storing receipts in a little accordion folder to keep them from going everywhere. After a year, I toss the receipts.

Find: Homework and Assignments
These are a challenge, but not with file folders. I simply stuff them into a manila folder with the class labeled on them and forget about it... until I need it. Then, all I have to do is open my desk drawer and rifle through the stack of folders. (Hint: Leave current assignments in a neat stack or paper tray)

A good use for a desk drawer!

Find: Chargers, cables and jump drives, not in use
I got Pinterest-y with this one. I had a fantastic Voluspa candle that smelled like peaches, so it was easy to burn down. I didn't want to throw away the black and gold tin (which just so happens to be my school colors) so I froze it and scraped out the remaining wax.

It looks like a fancy candle... but it's secretly my junky cables and chargers!

Then, I rolled up my cords and squashed them into the jar. Ta Da! A fairly attractive tech keeper. I plan on doing this again with all of my Voluspa candles and the pretty tins they come in!

Find: Cables and electrical cords, in use
This one is tough. Cables are unattractive 99% of the time. I usually just stuff the cables behind my desk and hope for best.
Sigh.

I was given a picture frame early this year and it's just the right size to cover up my surge protector.

Much more pleasing to the eye and still totally functional!

Find: Trash, snacks and bottles.
Sipping fresh juice out of your new Lilly tumbler? Great, but it's still sitting on your desk. Awkward... go wash that sucker and put it with the rest of your dishes.

Got a water bottle from your last work out? Is it empty? Drain it or drink it, then recycle the bottle. Trash from an earlier snack? You know what to do.

Did you find everything? 

Can you find the little whales that surprised me while cleaning? 
Can you also spot the two drinks I haven't finished?

What does your desk look like? Do you have your own organization system? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

1 comment:

  1. This is just the help I needed! I use my desk at school as a glorified table, but I want to stop that this semester! Thanks Alyson!

    ReplyDelete