Thursday, January 3, 2013

Quick Confession: Labeled like a can of preserves

Confession: I feel awkward labeling myself as a "Southern Prep."

I mean, Lord knows I fit the definition. Lilly Pulitzer, pearls, bows and headbands, sandals, dressing for the heat and never-ending summers are a staple in my life. But labeling yourself is always a little awkward.

For starters, not everyone is going to view you the way you do. To some, I wouldn't be a real southerner because I was born up north, or because I didn't have a cotillion. To others, I'm not a real prep because I'm not from New England!

I don't really think it's important, but everyone likes to find a group they belong to. It's nice to find someone with a similar background!

Do you think you fit into a "label"? Or do you prefer to go label-free?

No comments:

Post a Comment