Friday, April 19, 2013

Skin I'm In: (Sun) Block Party!

Welcome to the first part of my new series, Skin I'm In! You may remember my earlier announcement about this series. You can read it's origins here.

We've all heard the basics: too much sun can cause skin cancer and tanning beds are bad for you.

But those don't really help... nor do they truly encourage sun safety.

So let's look at sun safety in a new light and start with SPF. We all know we should use it, but what kind? How much? When?

SPF broad spectrum 30 is your best bet. It blocks 98% of UVB (burning) rays. SPF blocks 99%. Anything higher than SPF 50 can be left on the shelf- it doesn't block much higher than 99%. Plus, a little sun is okay as our bodies need Vitamin D.

I am a big fan of Clinique's sun block. It's in a bright yellow tube, lasts a good while, doesn't smell like coconuts or crazy beach vacations and doesn't clog pores.



I've also become a fan of the Fresh Effects BB Cream from Olay. It has a little color, lots of moisturizer and SPF 20 all in one handy bottle. And it smells like fresh flowers! Armed with a face powder with some SPF and I'm covered all day!


I've also been playing around with a sample from bareMinerals... I'm liking it so far! I got a deluxe sample from Sephora and I'm trying to decide if I like the primer better than the BB Cream I'm currently using... this product does indeed live up to it's promise of all day wear!

Now that you're armed with sunscreen, slather about 1 oz, about a shot glass, on your body 15 - 30 minutes before outdoor activities. Be sure to apply to those tricky areas like toes, ears, back of the neck, soles of feet and arm pits.

When it's time to reapply, which is roughly every 2 hours, do your best to go indoors and take a 15 minute break from the sun. Reapply as normal, and add a little extra to places that feel exposed - for example, my arms always burn first.

While you're reapplying, take note if your skin is developing color - red or tan - or if any freckles are darkening. If so, consider covering up for a little bit (linen tunics will be your best friend) or taking a break inside.

Do you use sunblock? What kind is your fave? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

1 comment:

  1. If I'm going to be outside (on the boat or at the beach or something!) I'll use Aveeno spray sun screen. For every day, my daily moisturizer has SPF 15, which I think is sufficient if I'm only outside between buildings.

    ReplyDelete