Saturday, April 27, 2013

Skin I'm In: Self Tanners

Welcome to the second installment of Skin I'm In! If you missed it, this series is about accepting your skin for what it is and sun safety.

Today we talk self tanners. When I first discovered self tanners in early high school, they were orange, streaky messes that never turned out right! From foams-at-home to spray tans, I always ended up looking striped and orange.

Luckily I learned a few tricks since then to help combat streaks and reduce that orange-y color!

First, decide what kind of tan you want. Are you doing a whole body tan or just arms or legs? How soon do you need your tan? How much maintenance can you put into your tan?

If you're going for full body, I suggest "Tan in a Can." The aerosal spray can reach all over, including your back (which is always tricky) and sometimes can even be sprayed upside down!

I've used the Neutrogena spray, but I recently picked up the Banana Boat version for a few dollars less. I like the smell of Banana Boat much more, but the color isn't as deep, so it's better for a light bronze.


If you need your tan now, I'd recommend an instant gel or foam, or even a body bronzer. I nabbed a VS PINK beach bronzer last year and I use it for an instant glow - it gives a nice bronze color with a little shimmer, smells great and washes off. I hope it's released again this summer!


If you need something low maintenance and have a little patience, I recommend a gradual tanner. For the super fair ladies like myself, try mixing the gradual tanner in with your daily lotion. It gives more hydration, prevents streaks and helps distribute color evenly (plus it extends the life of your tanner!) I'm a big fan of Jergens Natural Glow.



If you want a deeper, more instant tan, consider a spray tan. I've had both a booth tan and an airbrush tan, and I think the booth worked out better but I enjoyed the air brush experience more. The booth was faster and the tan lasted longer without streaking.

When you spray tan, remember to exfoliate before you go. I recommend going in the morning, shortly after a shower. Make sure you have a good amount of time to dry fully and not create "patches" - sitting for too long too soon, etc. - and wear loose but easy-to-put-on clothes. Finally, moisturize! Be light, but ensure that any dry spots get a little extra so they don't soak up too much tanner.



Do you use a self tanner? Which one is your favorite? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment