Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A true legend never dies

In the past two days, we lost three great women!

First, Sunday morning, Lilly Pulitzer passed away at 81 years old. She was surrounded by family and passed away peacefully.

I found Lilly inspirational because she refused to be bored. She was an heiress who married rich but she still went door-to-door to sell fruit from her citrus grove! She didn't intend to do anything special, she just wanted to have fun.


Second, Margaret Thatcher passed away Monday morning. She was 87. She was the first female prime minister of England in 1979 and also was Great Britain's longest serving prime minister.

She was nicknamed the Iron Lady... she was inspirational to me because she stuck to her word and never backed down.


Finally, Annette Funicello passed away Monday afternoon. She was 70. Annette was a beautiful dancer and singer and got her start on the Mickey Mouse club. She was a favorite Disney star in the 1960's and starred in several movies.

She was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1992, but she never gave up on hoping for a cure, even though she had to succumb to a wheelchair. I found this quote of hers summed up why I thought she was inspirational: "When I wake up in the morning, I like to imagine, 'This is the day I'm going to hear about an MS cure on the news.' I know it may be a long way off, but what a glorious morning that will be."



The big thing I value in all of these women is that they stayed true to themselves. The legacy they left behind was not to please people - it was to live life they way they wanted and to follow their hearts.

Which of these women inspire you the most? Who else inspires you? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment