Thursday, May 23, 2013

Spread your roots: Joining the DAR

When I was growing up, it was really cool to be an immigrant. Similar to the turn of the 20th century, a lot of my friends were first and second generation Americans. I remember being the only kid in one of my elementary classes that didn't have family go through Ellis Island.

It makes you feel kind of strange. And, until I began researching my family history, I thought I was just an immigrant from farther back.

In a sense, that was true. My family immigrated way back, and it turns out we had several ancestors who fought in the American Revolution.

It took me the better part of 10 years to discover this fact and begin to feel a sense of patriotism. I had always felt like an American, but I never felt like there was anything special about it.

The older I got the more I saw in the world that made me grateful to be an American citizen. While this country always has room for improvement, I realized there's no place I'd rather be.



So, after college, I decided to join the Daughters of the America Revolution. I wanted to be a part of an organization after school that was different from what I normally did. I chose the DAR over the Junior League because I felt more connected to the DAR's values - historic preservation, education and patriotism.

I wanted to find people who wanted to follow their ancestors footsteps and inspire patriotism in all American's, whether you have been here for generations or have just taken your oath of allegiance.

It's nice to find a place to fit in. There is something for everyone, and I'm excited it was so easy to find my place!


Currently, I've put in my application, have been matched toa chapter and my father and I are tying up the loose ends of my lineage line.

I'm so excited about joining... I can't wait to tell my readers more! I'll update the blog as things roll along.

Do you know your family lineage? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment