Friday, May 10, 2013

Skin I'm In: Self Acceptance

The final segment in my "Skin I'm In" series is about self acceptance. It last, but certainly not least. Self acceptance is possibly the biggest part about being comfortable in your own skin.

When I was in high school, I religiously spray-tanned after being teased constantly about being "too pale." In return, I was then made fun of for being "orange" when my spray-tans went awry. One day, I forgot to wear bronzer and one of my teachers tried to send me to the school nurse because I looked "gaunt." Not really a positive view about my skin, huh?

I had to really steer my perspective to a positive one. I tried to change what I saw in the mirror. I didn't want to feel "pale" - what I saw as negative.

I changed my perspective to "fair." My skin is fair, like clear weather and story book princesses. When it sounded so much more positive, it was easy to look in the mirror and feel satisfied.

It's hard to change perspective. But accepting every mole, freckle and birthmark, one by one, can lead to happier, stronger you. But don't forget, it's not a one stop shop, it's a life-long journey.

Do you accept yourself as is? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment