Monday, March 31, 2014

What my first birthday in the real world taught me

I celebrated another year alive and kicking yesterday! I've spent 23 years on Planet Earth so birthdays aren't new, but something was different this year.

This was the first year I wasn't in school. I wasn't living with my parents, I didn't have to go to classes. After I made my birthday list I felt a little childish. I'm 23, do I really need a birthday list?

I had a birthday dinner the night before, which I tried to plan myself but learned I wasn't a very good party planner and I needed a lot of help. The birthday dinner went very well and I got to see lots of friends and people I love.

The day of my actual birthday I slept in, had lunch with my parents, opened gifts and went shopping with Mom. I did all of those things last year but this year it felt funny.

It takes a lot of effort to celebrate a birthday when you aren't down the hall from someone. It takes effort to remember, to send a card, to call.

I've been struggling with keeping friendships afloat after graduation. It's hard when you're so used to just running into someone down the hall and going to lunch or having a chat. It's not the same when you have to find that person, and call them, and make plans, and find the time to follow through with those plans.

So the lesson I've been learning, but really saw in full force, on my birthday was that a little effort for friendship goes a long way. You don't have to see them every day, but try to call, even if it's just once on their birthday. It means a lot more when you're on your own.

I have felt a lot more gratitude for the people who took the time to wish me a happy birthday or celebrate with me. It wasn't like last year or the years before, it was so much more fulfilling.

Have you ever felt a year wiser on your birthday? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment