Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Surviving the staff picnic

A week or two ago I went to my first ever company get-together. 

Both my parents and boyfriend were out of town so I stuck it out alone. I thought it was going to be a little awkward and that I'd leave early, however, I ended up having so much fun I stayed until the very end!

Here are a few tips for navigating the staff picnic:

1. GO. The boss-man notices whose come and who hasn't. Going and being awkward still looks better than not going at all. At my staff picnic, I ended up spending a good deal of time chatting with the owner and several older, more experienced reporters - something I wouldn't have gotten to experience if I had just stayed home!

2. Ask before you bring a buddy. Is it a family event or staff only? My event included significant others and kids, but not every event does. Check with a more experienced coworker before you bring your S/O along (or wait and see if they ask if he/she is coming)

3. Bring a little something. Not everything is a pot luck, but if the event is at someone's house ALWAYS bring a little treat. In my case, it wasn't necessary, but looking for the host to drop off my veggie tray was a great way to start the party with a purpose. Plus, I got to meet the wife of the host, who then introduced me to another guest, which eventually ended with meeting most of the unfamiliar faces at the party. 

4. Dress to impress. It's not work hours, but it is still a work event. I wore a pair of brightly colored Bermuda shorts, a polo shirt, my favorite sandals and a big bow. I knew a bow could be a conversation starter - one of my favorite phrases is "It's not a social affair without a bow in the hair"- and so could my bright pink and green giraffe printed shorts. However, the only part of my outfit that started conversations were my sandals! I guess they've gotten used to my bright wardrobe :)

5. Respondez, Sil-Vous-Plait. Don't even think about just showing up. It's rude to the host and says "my time is more important than yours." News flash: you're not the boss, you can't say that. 

6. Say hello- and goodbye. Do your best to introduce yourself or say hello to everyone at the party. When you leave, be sure to say good bye. It seems silly in this day and age, but it's polite. I sat out in the garden with a few coworkers (I attached myself to my boss, who also came alone) and I was pleasantly surprised when people I had just went out of their way to say goodbye and that it was nice to meet me. It definitely made me feel like I belonged there. 

7. At least try to be excited that you're there. It may be horrible, you may be alone and your coworkers may not be as interested in making you feel at home. But push through it. Stay for dinner, thank the hosts, then make your rounds and peace out. 

8. Send a thank you note. I forgot to do this (cringe!) but while its not a necessary step it's a nice surprise for the hosts. 

A very important edit: 9. Be cautious of your drinking habits. My cousin reminded me of this important detail and recommends a two drink max (and if your boss doesn't drink, you don't either!) However, I also feel if you are not full time or still probationary, if its your first staff event, if you came alone and have to drive, don't drink at all. 

While not every party is a themed fraternity party, staff parties can be very similar in a networking sort of way. At a fraternity party, your goal is to have fun and impress your fellow Greeks outside of campus... Just like at a staff picnic, your goal is to make connections with coworkers outside of work. You can use what you've learned from college life in the workforce, and it's not always as obvious as what you've studied. A big thanks to my Mom in that one - I said I was nervous and she said, "Pretend like its a recruitment event and you're recruiting for Phi Mu." Mother always knows how to speak my language!

Have you ever gone to a company event? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself, 
Alyson 

2 comments:

  1. One thing to remember with parties that involve alcohol - 2 drink max. You don't want to be "THAT person" who got tanked at the company Christmas party and tried to make out with your boss or threw up everywhere. Although skills can be taken from meeting and impressing people at Frat parties, don't bring along the drinking skills one could develop from Frat parties. 2 drink max is my rule and most companies use it when out with clients. The best suggestion for those situations is follow the client's lead. If they don't order an adult beverage, you don't either. If they order a bottle of wine for the table, you can accept or pass, depending on your taste. But remember, you're representing your company whether it's with internal co-workers or external clients so make good choices with alcohol

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY good point! I've added a bit about it to the post :) thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete