Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Puppy madness

I've had a dog for as long as I can remember, or at least, my family has had a dog! So moving into an apartment pet-less is a weird feeling. 

College was the only time I've been dog-less, but even then, I was home on weekends with my family's two dogs. 

I can't stop shopping for pets! I've found quite few dogs and cats that have peaked my interest. One in particular has stuck out, reminding me of one of my first dogs, a cocker spaniel. 

How cute is this little guy!? Photo courtesy of Furkids


But I feel like I should wait until I at least get settled... and with my doubt about whether or not to get a dog, my friends are suggesting I wait. But I'm almost scared to live without one! 

Would you get a pet moving out for the first time? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson 


1 comment:

  1. I totally hear ya on wanting a pet. But... I'd give yourself a few months to get settled - something I've learned in my old age lol. Dogs are awesome but you want to know month to month what your true budget is after moving in before you see if you can fit a dog into it - they're expensive. Also, a lot of apartments charge a pet deposit or monthly pet fee so you have to be prepared to take that financial hit as well. I have found that cats are a bit cheaper... You still have to take the hit for the pet rent or deposit however, if you keep it strictly an indoor cat, you really don't need to take it to the vet IMO. Most towns/communities have a time of year when you can get a cheap rabies shot so that takes care of that and if it's indoors then all you need is food, water, litter & box, treats and some toys. But, I'd still hold off a few months, see how your budget goes for those few months as well as how much time you really spend at home. If you aren't home often because you're at work or out with friends/bf, then a dog (or kitten - they are crazy) definitely isn't a responsibility you want to take on either.

    ReplyDelete