Thursday, February 20, 2014

Life lessons from Cairo: Gentleness

Recently, a Georgia woman rallied to ban pit bulls after her son was mauled to death by the family pet.

I strongly disagree with this. While it's terrible this poor child was killed out of an act of seemingly random violence, I don't understand how or why banning them would work.

But, the issue inspired lots of people to discuss animal provocation. Animals, like humans, have mouths. Anything with a mouth can bite. If you wouldn't do it to a human, you shouldn't do it to a pet. This includes poking, shouting, pulling on ears and the like, or threatening. If you growled at another human, they'd be taken aback and on the alert. So would a dog.

What's important is that it reminded me of something important: being gentle. My poor cat humors me picking him up, rubbing my face on his belly, kissing his nose and holding him against his immediate will, among other things. When I do these things, I just want to satisfy my needs - affection - and I don't even think about his wants.

Oh, did I mention he puts up with baths too!?

It's a good reminder to be gentle with others. You can be mindful of others wants without knowing them. Like with pets, body language is a huge indicator. For example, I know that when Cairo thumps his tail, he's overstimulated.

In a very aggressive world, it can be hard to soften. I encourage you to take a step back and let yourself be gentle, just once this week and see if you get a different reaction than you expect.

What ways are you gentle? Share with me in the comments below!

Stay true to yourself,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment